Skip to main content

Popular posts from this blog

Antique fine porcelaine plate with drawing: Acropolis

Antique fine porcelaine plate with drawing: ACROPOLIS, PATENT D W, with motto stamp "DIEU ET MON DROIT, HONI SOIT QUI MAL Y PENSE", by "C.L.A.Q. BRO"

Train Trips to Istanbul

I love train trips. It is the best way to witness the culture and life of the people where you are travelling. It is not the destination, it is the pleasure of travel itself. (This what BMW tells us in TV commercials.) I went to Istanbul by a train from Ankara. I boarded in the night, and I was in Istanbul, Haydarpasa Pier next morning. I took a single seat instead of private cabin. Because I don't like to isolate myself and go to sleep but I like to see the people while travelling.

Selimiye Barracks and Florence Nightingale

Selimiye Barracks and the docks of Harem seen from Bosphorus. During the Crimean War (1854-1856), the barracks were converted into a temporary military hospital. On November 4, 1854, Florence Nightingale arrived in Scutari with 38 volunteer nurses. They cared for thousands of wounded soldiers, and drastically reduced the high mortality rate by improving the sanitary living conditions until she returned home in 1857 as a heroine. During the Crimean campaign, Florence Nightingale gained the nickname "The Lady with the Lamp", deriving from a phrase in a report in The Times: